Admissions for the UBC Scholarship at the University of British Columbia (UBC) are now available for both local and international students who want to study in Canada for the class of 2022-2023.
UBC Scholarship program acknowledges outstanding students from around the world’s academic achievement by allocating more than $30 million per year to awards, scholarships, and other forms of financial assistance for international undergraduate students.
About University of British Columbia (UBC)
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a global center for teaching, learning, and research, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world and recently recognized as North America’s most international university.
UBC Scholarship Benefits
The University of British Columbia offers a four-year doctoral fellowship program with a salary of up to $18,200 and complete tuition coverage.
- People, Culture and Society.
- History, Law, and Politics.
- Languages and Linguistics.
- Media and Fine arts.
- Business and Economics.
- Earth, Environment, and Sustainability.
- Health and Life Sciences.
- Engineering and Technology.
- Math, Chemistry, and Physics.
University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate
According to reports, the acceptance rate is extremely high. International graduate students may be admitted at a rate of about 25% and undergraduates at a rate of less than 44%.
Merit-based awards at the University of British Columbia (UBC)
You’ll be immediately eligible for these merit-based scholarships as soon as you obtain an offer of admission to UBC. Your demonstrated academic success and extracurricular activity will both be taken into account.
International Major Entrance Scholarship
Outstanding international students enrolling in undergraduate programs at UBC are given International Major Entrance Scholarships (IMES).
IMES is awarded to students as they begin their first year of study at UBC, and they are renewable for up to three more years of study. Depending on the resources available, these scholarships are offered at varying levels and numbers each year.
Outstanding International Student Award
When suitable applicants are offered admission to UBC, they are given a one-time merit-based entrance scholarship known as the Outstanding International Student (OIS) Award. Students that are chosen for this honor have strong academic performance as well as extracurricular engagement.
Eligibility for the Program
- You must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- You must be entering UBC from a recognized secondary school, or transferring from your first year at a post-secondary college or other universities.
- You must have graduated from high school no earlier than one year before the academic year you are applying. For example, applicants for 2023 must have graduated from high school no earlier than 2022.
- You must be applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- You must demonstrate superior academic achievement (achieve all As or equivalent standards).
- You must demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent you from pursuing a UBC degree. (UBC automatically considers all international students for the merit-based International Major Entrance Scholarships and Outstanding International Student Awards scholarships, totaling a maximum value of $25,000 per year. If this amount does not cover your needs for tuition and basic living expenses, you are eligible to apply for the International Scholars Program.)
- You must meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements and the English Language Admission Standard.
To be considered for the International Major Entrance Scholarship (IMES), you must:
- Be new to UBC, entering directly from secondary school.
- Be an international student who will be studying at UBC on a Canadian study permit (student visa). (Changes to your citizenship status will affect your IMES eligibility.)
- Demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and intellectual promise, as well as impressive extracurricular and community involvement.
- Not being nominated for a need-and-merit-based International Scholars award.
To be considered for an Outstanding International Student (OIS) Award, you must:
- Be new to UBC, entering directly from secondary school or post-secondary (university or college).
- Be an international student studying at UBC on a Canadian study permit (student visa). (Changes to your citizenship status will affect your scholarship eligibility.)
- Demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and strong extracurricular involvement.
- Not being nominated for a need-and-merit-based International Scholars award.
University of British Columbia (UBC) Scholarships for International Students
1. International Major Entrance Scholarship (IMES)
Scholarship Amount: CAD 25,000 to cover tuition and other fees.
The International Major Entrance Scholarship (IMES), which is valid for three years, is awarded to international students who receive exceptional grades.
New international applicants who are on a study visa and have not previously been nominated for an International Scholars award are eligible for this University of British Columbia scholarship for international students.
2. Outstanding International Student Award (OIS)
Scholarship Amount: about CAD 2,500 to CAD 10,000.
A study permit is a requirement for eligible international applicants who are new to UBC. Not eligible are those who have been nominated for a need-and-merit-based International Scholars grant. This merit-based UBC award is offered just once to international students.
For more University of British Columbia scholarships for undergraduate international students, visit the scholarship page.
1. Guaranteed Ph.D. Funding
Scholarship Amount: $22,000 minimum funding.
New outstanding Ph.D. students receive the minimum funding. For the first four years, students are guaranteed a certain minimum amount of financing and based on their qualifications, they may receive more.
This international student grant from the University of British Columbia can be used to cover school-related costs like tuition, books, and living expenses.
2. International Tuition Award
Scholarship Amount: up to $3,200
Graduates who are registered full-time and enrolled in master’s and doctorate programs with a focus on research are eligible for the international tuition award.
If you receive money from a government or organization that is equivalent to or greater than the International Tuition Award, you are not eligible. There is no need to apply because all overseas students enrolled in programs with a strong research component automatically get this award.
University of British Columbia Tuition Fee for International Students
Undergraduate tuition for international students ranges from $38,959 to $53,701. Depending on the course requested, the price per credit ranges from $1,371 to $1,659. Arts, Environmental Design, Fine Arts, Media Studies, Music, Nursing, and Social Work are some of the programs that cost less than $50,000.
On the other hand, Applied Science, Commerce, and Medical Laboratory Science are programs that cost above $50,000. Continued international students can anticipate a 2%–5% tuition hike.
The master’s and doctoral tuition fees for graduate students are listed under the International Graduate Tuition Fees. The majority of graduate programs have three equal payments due in September, January, and May.
The tuition for a master’s degree for international students ranges from $3,291 to $23,160 per installment, with $3,291 being the lowest and $23,160 being the most. The lowest tuition rate for international students for a doctorate is $1,289 for each payment, while the maximum rate is $24,087 per installment.
List of Scholarships Available at the University of British Columbia (UBC)
Following scholarship plans are being offered by UBC to students each year with variable coverage plans:
- UBC merit-based scholarships
- International Major Entrance Scholarship (IMES)
- Outstanding International Student Awards
- UBC International Scholars Program
- International Major Entrance Scholarship for Vantage One
- Vantage One Excellence Awards
- UBC Okanagan Campus Scholarships
- Vantage One Entrance Awards
- UBC Vancouver Campus Scholarships
- UBC Public Scholar Initiative (PSI)